I make hot coffee drinks at home (espresso, 1/2&1/2, sugar). I'd like to shake them rather than stir. Is there such a thing as a shaker which can endure the pressure of a shaken hot drink? I imagine something like the bomb calorimeters we used in college - an insulated metal container with a tightly threaded lid. Preferably for a single serving. Does any such thing exist?

Now... why do I do this? I've had limited success with screw top glass jars. Shaking the coffee and 1/2&1/2 introduces a lot of air into the drink giving it a milk-shake consistency. I can do with with only 15ml of milk rather than the Starbucks style "all milk, shot of coffee". A shaken hot coffee with milk produces a thick beverage that's 95% coffee and only a dash of milk.

3 Answers 3


Not too sure about an appropriate container for shaking, because as you noticed shaking heats the air in the container which in turn expands, leading to all kinds of pressure problems.

My alternative suggestion: Have you considered an immersion blender? Some of these come with metal disks that can be substituted for the cutting blades. With sufficient power, you can even whip very cold low / non fat milk into whipped cream -like consitency. Should work for thickening your coffe as well.

(The process of whipping milk is described for example here.)

  • The pressure thing isn't all that bad - you should be able to shake a little, crack it open to vent, maybe repeat once or twice, then be fine.
    – Cascabel
    Aug 22, 2015 at 22:37
  • @Jefromi Yes. but it's cumbersome, will leak at least a small bit when opening etc....
    – Stephie
    Aug 23, 2015 at 6:25
  • agreed; had similar issues when i worked as a bartender; ends up making a mess. 90% of hot drinks are stir only for this reason. Alternative; you could use a mixer if wanted "froth"; for home use a Nutri Bullet or vitamixer would work; pending budget. Be sure whatever you use is BPO free; don't want "nasties" leeching into the hot liquid.
    – zerobane
    Aug 25, 2015 at 20:29

I solved this finally! A mason jar with a screw on lid does the trick nicely. I expect the glass will break eventually, but they're cheap and easily replaceable.

  • until you break the glass while shaking the content ... hot drinks+glass shards = not fun.
    – Max
    Sep 27, 2015 at 16:46
  • @Max I don't understand the concern over the glass breaking, I have hot liquid in my glass coffee pot each morning. There's nothing inherent to shaking a drink that would lead to the glass breaking. My problem with using mason jars for this is the hot liquid can spurt out when unscrewing the top and burn hands.
    – MeltedPez
    Sep 27, 2015 at 19:53
  • I can confirm there's no spray when opening the lid. Also, in my experience mixing things in mason jars for years... they will crack but won't explode shards everywhere. Sep 27, 2015 at 20:00

A small Thermos should work. They make single serving sizes and they have screw on lids. Something like this Thermos

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.