1

I didn't realize there was mold on the top and bottom of my white wine vinegar until I had added a teaspoon into the ingredients for Tzatziki. Is it OK to use or should it be discarded?

5

It depends; if it's formed a solid disk and was/is floating on top, what you probably have is a vinegar mother, not mold. It's a bacterial colony of acetobacter, and probably happened because your vinegar still had a little bit of alcohol left in it for the bacteria to feed on.

You have several options if this is the case:

  • You can leave it in the bottle; it will do you no harm.
  • You can filter it out with a coffee filter or similar and discard it. Your vinegar will be fine.
  • You can put it in a bottle with (perhaps not so great) wine and/or the leftovers of bottles and make vinegar.
  • This seems most likely. The acidity of vinegar would make it pretty unlikely to get mold. – SourDoh Oct 27 '15 at 4:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.