What kind of spatula is this? My boyfriend's father has this and I want to get him a new one for Christmas but cannot find it. It does not have a brand on it and he does not know where the spatula came from.

photograph of spatula

  • 1
    Are there any markings on it at all? Also, some measurements might be useful -- it looks to be to be really, really, short handled, but that might be an issue w/ shortening due to the angle the picture was taken at.
    – Joe
    Dec 2, 2015 at 22:04
  • It is a very short handle. I am not sure on the exact measurements, but it may not even be 12 inches long. Dec 3, 2015 at 14:30
  • This looks like an "adaptive utensil" meant for those with arthritis or other difficulties in grasping and fine motor control - the handle is unusually thick and contoured, and the head is much closer in. Amazon has a number of these, notably the OXO Good Grips, but nothing that matches this one exactly. You may want to check out the local pharmacies. Dec 3, 2015 at 19:43
  • I have what looks like that exact spatula and I know I got it as a set and I think from Sam's Club.
    – paparazzo
    Jun 21, 2016 at 18:55
  • 1
    I broke my tool several months ago and I'm looking for exactly the same one that was pictured above! This is the first time I have ever seen the identical one in my search, Sad, but Glad that I am not alone in my search! Mine came in a Set of 5 utensils as shown in this picture. The only mark on the hand grip is "China" but for some reason I'm thinking this may have been a Costco purchase, just not sure! Jul 8, 2017 at 0:38

2 Answers 2


I couldn't find an exact match but the short, squat shape with a straight top edge suggests that it's for stirring and/or scraping. The flat shape (ie. that although the head is angled at the top, the whole head isn't angled) and thick, inflexible design suggest that it isn't supposed to be used for flipping; this would be very difficult as rim of the pan would get in the way - even if it weren't a problem, you would still have the problem of your knuckles being too close to the pan to avoid burning.

The nearest equivalents I could find are:

A Saute paddle:

enter image description hereenter image description here

This is probably the best match. The tool that OP pictures seems good for scraping a pan and will take some force being applied. The angle at the top will also make this easier on the wrist. Slots are also common.

Or, failing that

A Rice spoon/spatula:

enter image description here

The overall size and shape are close to a traditional rice spatula/spoon. The angled head is a common design, though less common than round heads. Slots however, are unusual.


That looks like something made for Walmart or target or the like, however that style of spatula looks like a "slotted nylon broad fish turner" google that and variations of that as a search term to find a good match.

I don't know why fish turners aren't more popular in the average home, but they are great tools. Since I don't use Teflon coated pans I prefer stainless, but even so they are great flipping tools.

  • I will definitely look on google for that! Thank you so much for your help! Dec 3, 2015 at 14:30
  • Good point ... the asymmetric head + short handle would be rather similar to a fish spatula. (I'm used to them having less coverage (more gaps / large slots) than other styles, so that didn't come to mind right away)
    – Joe
    Dec 3, 2015 at 17:54
  • 1
    That's not a fish-slice. The short, squat shape, thick blade and flat angle to the pan (if that makes sense?) would make it very, very difficult to use for that. To me it looks more like a variation on a sushi rice spatula.
    – Niall
    Jun 21, 2016 at 15:40
  • example of rice spatula - encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/…
    – Niall
    Jun 21, 2016 at 15:47
  • @Niall Try digging out rice with that plastic spatula. It ain't gonna work. Honestly the closest traditional tool to this spatula is the fish turner. I looked thoroughly.
    – Escoce
    Jun 21, 2016 at 15:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.