What is the best process/technique to use for hot smoking salmon on a smoker like the Big Green Egg?
It's pretty easy:
- Soak wood chunks or chips over night in water.
- Start hard lump charcoal in BGE (or any smoker)
- Scatter wood over the coals
- Let salmon sit out for 15 - 20 mins to come to room temp
- Get BGE smoking and adjust temperature to 180F to 200F
- Put salmon on grill
- Smoke till finished. About 35-45 mins for 1 1/2 lbs fillet. It wants to be cooked through and flakey.
I'll often do this while smoking a Boston Butt, which is an all day affair. If I've got room, I throw a salmon fillet on in the middle of the day for lunch.
If you're just getting in to smoking with the BGE, I highly recommend the book Smoke and Spice.