I have been in a shop where you were able to see how they made doughnuts. The first thing I thought was that they were krapfen.

Are there any differences between krapfen, and doughnut? Does one use different ingredients?

  • No, it is the same thing in English and in German. – Wizard79 Sep 1 '10 at 12:31

There doesn't appear to be any difference. Wikipedia says "In English-speaking countries, Berliners are usually called doughnuts and are usually filled with jam, jelly, custard or whipped cream", and this page says "The English translation of krapfen is cruller or doughnut". There are so many variations of filling, topping, shape and so forth that it is hard to establish a single identity anyhow.

  • 1
    Cruller and donuts are different; a cruller is a fried pastry, while a donut is fried dough. The fact they are different enough is also evidenced in the Wikipedia article, where it is reported that the chain of doughnut shops stopped carrying traditional crullers, claiming that the hand-shaped treats were too labor-intensive, and couldn't be simulated with new machines for mixing doughnut batter. I have eaten krapfen in Italy (I think artisan is the correct word for the shop); the difference I could note between a donut and krapfen is that a krapfen doesn't have a hole, and [continue] … – kiamlaluno Sep 1 '10 at 12:03
  • … donuts can have a variety of toppings (while I saw krapfens with just two kinds of toppings). – kiamlaluno Sep 1 '10 at 12:18
  • Filled doughnuts in English usually don't have holes either. – Yamikuronue Nov 23 '11 at 14:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.