I am trying to find a way to use hard alcohol such as Fireball, Jack Daniels, Sailor Jerrys and so on and turn them into a baking concentrate. This means the flavor of the alcohol cannot burn off at a high heat. Will xanthan gum or gum Arabic used to make baking concentrates with fruit juice provide the same effect? Or is there a way to take the flavor of the alcohols and turn them into a food concentrate? I just need the flavor not the alcohol itself so if burning off the alcohol which is the actual part that seems to be burning off since it boils at a much lower temperature than water I can do that. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Cheers, Savannah


You can't. The compounds which make Jack Daniels taste like Jack Daniels are alcohol soluble and highly volatile. If you try cooking off the alcohol, the taste will evaporate together with the alcohol.

If you are thinking of "rum essence" for baking, that's not derived from rum at all. It's simply ethylformate, and it's produced in a lab.

You can mix xanthan gum or something else with alcohol, but it won't make it a concentrate in any way. In fact, it is likely to make the taste somewhat weaker, as these thickeners have a tendency of trapping taste.

  • I suppose theoretically you could distill it even further, capturing and concentrating the alcohol and aromatics and leaving water behind, but that's not exactly an everyday home project (and possibly isn't legal everywhere).
    – Cascabel
    Jan 4 '16 at 18:39
  • @Jefromi : some alcohols get their flavor after distilling. Anything aged in a barrel is distilled, aged (which gives the flavor), and then possibly watered down to get to the desired proof.
    – Joe
    Jan 4 '16 at 19:43
  • I've had higher proof alcohol (80% rum, for example) and I don't think it will be any better in baking than the normal one.
    – rumtscho
    Jan 4 '16 at 19:56
  • Yeah, 80% rum is wonderful for flambéing, but it doesn't really impart more rum flavor than 40% rum.
    – Marti
    Jan 4 '16 at 20:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.