Some places serve rice in a football/quenelle/shell-like shaped scoop/mold/mould for food presentation. It's consistent at many teriyaki places so I suspect it's something you can purchase.

I've searched for the following terms: football, shell, prolate spheroid, oval, quenelle, in conjunction with scoop, mold/mould but haven't had any luck.

(Click images for larger view)

The closest I've found is a "Deep Boat Petit Four Mould", but the bottom is flat instead of a dome.

Edit: This is used to mold sticky rice, ideally they would have the 'shell like' ridges running longitudinally/lengthwise). All of these teriyaki pictures are from the Seattle area.

Update (2016-06-19): Found the mold in use in Japan. It's commonly used in omurice.

omurice mold (From this video)

  • @clcto I'd upvote that if you made it an answer.
    – logophobe
    Jan 13, 2016 at 14:20

2 Answers 2


There is a technique called quenelling where you form this shape using two spoons. It appears to be usually used for ice cream and other items of similar consistency but I don't see why it wouldn't work for steamed rice (although those would have to be large spoons).

  • i tried this before posting my question, sticky rice doesn't roll very well. in addition, this would be too slow for a high volume shop
    – Lam Chau
    Jan 13, 2016 at 19:18

There seem to be a good few available on Amazon. I just searched for "quenelle mould".

  • yep, found those but the one i'm looking for has 'shell' indentations and is about 125mm x 75mm (L x W)
    – Lam Chau
    Jan 13, 2016 at 19:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.