Some places serve rice in a football/quenelle/shell-like shaped scoop/mold/mould for food presentation. It's consistent at many teriyaki places so I suspect it's something you can purchase.

I've searched for the following terms: football, shell, prolate spheroid, oval, quenelle, in conjunction with scoop, mold/mould but haven't had any luck.

(Click images for larger view)

The closest I've found is a "Deep Boat Petit Four Mould", but the bottom is flat instead of a dome.

Edit: This is used to mold sticky rice, ideally they would have the 'shell like' ridges running longitudinally/lengthwise). All of these teriyaki pictures are from the Seattle area.

Update (2016-06-19): Found the mold in use in Japan. It's commonly used in omurice.

omurice mold (From this video)

  • @clcto I'd upvote that if you made it an answer. – logophobe Jan 13 '16 at 14:20

There is a technique called quenelling where you form this shape using two spoons. It appears to be usually used for ice cream and other items of similar consistency but I don't see why it wouldn't work for steamed rice (although those would have to be large spoons).

| improve this answer | |
  • i tried this before posting my question, sticky rice doesn't roll very well. in addition, this would be too slow for a high volume shop – Lam Chau Jan 13 '16 at 19:18

There seem to be a good few available on Amazon. I just searched for "quenelle mould".

| improve this answer | |
  • yep, found those but the one i'm looking for has 'shell' indentations and is about 125mm x 75mm (L x W) – Lam Chau Jan 13 '16 at 19:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.