Today when I was making Bolognese sauce, I removed the moldy part of the tomato paste and use the non-moldy part in the sauce. After searching on the internet, I found out that I can get sick from it. But I already added the tomato paste in my sauce, and it's a huge waste to throw the sauce away. Because the sauce has to cook for about an hour, is it possible to destroy the mold effects under high temperature?
I would take caution before consuming the sauce. It is possible that you may have killed mold however there could still be toxins. There are a lot of variables in these types of situations, such as whether or not those who are consuming the sauce have an allergy to mold. That is why a typical response is
when in doubt, throw it out. I would say if you insist on keeping it taking a very small taste and give it about 30 minutes and see if you start developing a rash, throat starts feeling itchy / funny. But this can be extremely unsafe and I would advise against it.
This forum discusses a bit about tomatoes left in the fridge for way too long, multiple people say that botulism can only occur while in the can (stay away from bulging cans), and that after you open it, molding can happen, but that is not that big of a deal.
This website says that it is usually totally fine, and that if you scrape off the mold, the only problem might be a slight undesired taste.
Then there's the tons of people that say your going to die if you eat any form of tomato that has gone bad in the least degree. (but don't give any reason)
If you really don't want to throw it out, just eat it and take the risk. Chances are you won't die.
Yes it's perfectly safe. I wouldn't use moldy tomato sauce however. But tomato paste being much thicker it's not an issue. Just scoop out and discard all the moldy part. You will probably live another ten years.