I have trouble cooking a steak 'medium', and to be honest, cooking it at all.
These were my steps:
- Bought a steak (hip) that was about 1cm to 1.5cm in height. I let it reach room temperature (1 to 2 hours outside the fridge) and dried it.
- heated a metal pan and added some oil when it was already quite hot
- put in the meat. It was 'glued' to the pan slightly (not hot enough?) but that was only a minor problem
- fried from both sides on high heat for about 1 minute until sides had a light brown (see picture)
- reduced heat and kept cooking
However, after about 10 minutes, the outside color had not changed much, and the inside was still raw after cutting it in two pieces to have a look.
The picture shows that, clearly, something is totally wrong here. In addition, the steak doubled in height while cooking (Is that a sign of cheap meat with too much water?).
What mistakes did I make so that it went as it did?