I borrowed a buddies pellet smoker to test it out. I got it going bright this morning. Got it up to about 225 and loaded it up a 6.5 pound Boston Butt. It never really stayed at 225, but hovered between 200 and 225 for the first 3-4 hours of cooking.
Then the fire went out, it started to drop. The meat was around 130. I wrapped it in tin foil and set it on my outdoor table while I looked at the smoker. After an hour of not getting it going again, I put it in the oven at 225. After another hour I got the smoker working. Turns out the fan got jammed up and I had to get it moving.
So the question is, is my food still safe? A summary of the facts:
- 6.5 Boston Butt smoked for about 3-4 hours at 200-225, temp got to around 130.
- Fire went out, It spent one hour in foli and an other hour in the oven at 225.
- Temp when going back onto the smoker was about 125.
- Now everything is working, it is running at 250 and the meat is 163.
- I plan on cooking it to 195 or 203 (if time permits).