I have been experimenting with sprouts lately. Most recently I've been sprouting mung beans.
Last week I had a salad with a larger than usual portion of bean sprouts. I spent the next day with a delicious case of food poisoning. I don't have any proof that the sprouts were the cause but I have since read online that sprouts are prone to bacterial contamination and they were the only potentially risky thing I ate that day.
My process is simply:
- Rinse the beans,
- Place them in a mason jar with a mesh lid
- Cover with water,
- After one day drain the beans,
- Twice a day, rinse them with fresh water and allow to drain,
- Eat the sprouts after 3-7 days.
If bean sprouts do have an elevated risk of bacterial growth, how can I minimize that risk?