I currently have a tiny gas oven to cook with this summer and I like to cook a lot of pizzas, but I have always cooked them in standard electric home ovens.
Typically, I cook the pizzas on a 15" stone with store bought fresh dough and follow these steps:
- Preheat oven with stone for at least 30 min at 425 F
- Put dough in for about 2 min by itself
- Layer on toppings
- Push back into oven for 10-15 minutes (depends on the oven)
My current oven will fit my 13" pizza stone, has a single flame rod (whatever that's called) on the bottom that starts in the back and extends towards the front. I cannot see into the oven as I normally would to watch the browning of the crust.
So a couple questions:
- How long will the pizza take to cook at some temperature? (<= 500 F)
- Do I need to let the dough sit by itself in the oven?
- Opening the door too much to check the pizza (I know gas fluctuates more)
- Burning (one the SO references said 90 seconds to cook)