I just discovered the joy of slow cooking meat, separating the juice, then boiling it to a reduction, then simmering the meat in its own concentrated juices (with some other tasty ingredients added).

So is there a name for simmering slow cooked meat in its concentrated juices?


This would be what I would call stewing. From the FreeDictionary:

"A dish cooked by stewing, especially a mixture of meat or fish and vegetables with stock."

I suppose you could also coin your own, new term call "modified-reduction-stewing." Oh, wait, that's mine! Make up your own ;--)

| improve this answer | |
  • 5
    modified-reduction-stewing => mo-re-stew => more stew – user1575 Sep 10 '10 at 0:44

Sounds like braising, though while it's traditional to concentrate the juices afterward, it's optionally delicious to throw everything back in to simmer in them.

Braising is a pretty general term though: it also applies to slow cooking in any concentrated juices, or even un-concentrated juices (though this is not recommended for best results).

| improve this answer | |
  • What do you mean throw everything back in? You mean for leftovers? – user1575 Sep 8 '10 at 19:43
  • 2
    I looked up the definition of braising--close! but not it. Braising requires the food to be cooked in dry heat first (ie browning the outside of a roast) then simmered in a liquid. – user1575 Sep 8 '10 at 22:08

This process is called confit. It is a french term meaning 'cooked in own juices'.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    Confit does not mean "cooked in own juices", on the contrary it is used for food which is preserved by submerging it in fat (for meat) or sugar syrup (for fruit) – rumtscho Apr 18 '15 at 14:39

are you talking about sous vide?

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.