I like thick drinks and I cannot lie. You other posters can't deny, That when a shake pours out, all watery and fast My first thought is "that's just nast(ay)"
Normally, I put in my smoothies a combination of the following:
- 4-5 med. Strawberries
- ½ Banana
- ½(?) cup baby spinach
- Hemp milk
- Other seasonal fruits/vegetables
- Cocoa powder
I'm also going to experiment with adding things from this list:
- Home-made hemp milk (from hemp hearts)
- Flax seeds
- Small portions of avocado
So far, the smoothies have come out with the texture of chocolate milk. I'd like it to be a bit thicker, but I have some very interesting food allergies/intolerance. I'd also like to keep the beverage nearer to room temperature at the time of preparation/consumption.
I cannot consume any of the following items I've found online for thickening:
- Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum (other polysaccharides)
- Dairy (both cow and goat make me ill, I'm not trying others)
- Whey, Pea, or other bean/lentil-based protein powders
- Anything considered High-FODMAP
What other methods are there to thicken a smoothie, with neither dairy, nor frozen items?
More FODMAP information: