Just started making kefir last week. My kefir comes out grainy and watery.
Here is what I'm doing:
- I have about 2 tablespoon of kefir
- I add about 4 cups of 2% organic milk
- Leave it for a day on the counter (26 degrees centigrade)
- It separates by this time (clear liquid at the bottom) but not much
- I run it through a plastic sieve.
The resulting kefir compared to store bought kefir (my only point of reference) is:
- seems watery instead of creamy
- seems grainy: tiny grains almost like yogurt particles
- has a sharp taste/smell
I still drink it and enjoy it. But I was wondering how I can improve it...
I haven't gotten the timing right yet...however switching to whole milk is producing much better kefir.