Just bought a cheap wok that has 2 little handles and the inside looks like a bad paint job (black in Color)that looks like swirls.

on the bottom it has Chinese lettering which I don't understand. It is very lightweight. Any clues?

  • 1
    Can you upload a picture? (Worth a thousand words, as the saying goes!) – Erica Aug 11 '16 at 19:06
  • I could but don't know how to. – Cecilia Aug 11 '16 at 19:20
  • Where did you buy it? – talon8 Aug 11 '16 at 19:27
  • T and T Supermarket, in south Edmonton. – Cecilia Aug 11 '16 at 19:42

Types of woks:

  1. Stainless Steel

    • Heavy, expensive and well, shiny like stainless steel. Unlikely that this is it.
  2. Cast Iron

    • They're usually pretty heavy. It'll be black, but due to your weight, I'd guess that this isn't it either. Lightweight cast iron woks exist but they can be pretty brittle.
  3. Carbon Steel

    • Lightweight and cheap. Will be black if it's seasoned/pre-seasoned. These are manufactured a number of ways (hammered, stamped or spun on a lathe). Depending on what you mean by "swirls", it could be a result of the manufacturing method, the "bad paint job", could be the some pre-seasoning (ie: bad seasoning job?)?
    • This would be my guess as you said it's lightweight and cheap. The Chinese lettering would also make it more likely as this is one of the more popular traditional types.
  4. Teflon, Aluminum, other...

    • You can also find them in various other materials, but these should be pretty obvious, and you're unlikely to buy one randomly I would guess.

TLDR: I would guess it's machined/turned carbon steel.

See here for more info: Serious Eats

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you !! My wok looks like the picture under the title Manufacture. – Cecilia Aug 11 '16 at 19:35
  • If you bought it at T&T, I would definitely guess machined carbon steel – talon8 Aug 12 '16 at 1:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.