3

I bought these at the grocery two days ago. They have been in the fridge. They are firm. The white fungus in the gills is firm too. No bad smell. Can I cook and eat?enter image description here enter image description here

  • My first thought is, given the ways mushrooms are cultivated, the most likely fungus to be in the gills of your oyster mushrooms is other oyster mushrooms, since direct access to the spores is pretty likely. I have no proof, though, and while I probably would risk it (given the lack of soft spots or bad smells), I'm not sure I can recommend someone else take that risk without more information than I have. Maybe if you go back to the store and see if these are common on other oyster mushrooms and/or check with an employee that they're good (or at least salable)? – Megha Aug 13 '16 at 6:16
  • they're store bought mushrooms, they have no immune systems. expect that stuff to happen to them. – a coder Sep 9 '18 at 6:22
2

They're likely mycelium rather than other moulds, its not uncommon for certain varieties of stored mushrooms to start producing mycelia (the root system of mushrooms generally). According to this link, mould on mushrooms is more likely to be green,black or brown

http://www.gourmetmushroomsinc.com/fresh-restaurants-faq.htm

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.