4

I fed my starter and left it out for two days. See attached pic. It smells like beer (which as I understand it is good), the top is dried out a bit with a rubbery surface, underneath it seems nice and active with no signs of mold. I can't tell if the white spots are surface mold or if its just the dried out flour. enter image description here

1 Answer 1

3

it looks like it's just dried out on top and a little overfermented. pour off as much liquid as you can and feed it using a small portion of this starter and a lot of flour and water, i would recommend a 1-10-10 ratio.

3
  • Thanks. I'll give that a go. Is it safe to assume if it were mold that it'd clearly smell as such? Nothing about it smells "off" to me....
    – Brad
    Aug 30, 2016 at 17:50
  • @Brad - Yeah, you'd have no doubt if it was mold. Aug 30, 2016 at 18:46
  • 3
    For what its worth, I did what you suggested and it worked like a champ. Baking with it today :)
    – Brad
    Sep 1, 2016 at 15:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.