What do you call eggs prepared with a broken yolk, in a skillet, with no char? I crack 2 eggs into a saute skillet & break both yolks, cover with a lid & wait a couple minutes with medium heat, then flip them over & turn off heat for 1 more minute. I would like a quick easy description so I can order easily in restaurants


1 Answer 1


Where I come from, that would be called 'over hard.'

As a reference, the others would be over-easy (runny yolk), over-medium (soft, slightly runny), and the over-hard would be cooked solid.

Chefs will often break the yolk on an over-hard order, before flipping the egg, if it's not already broken.

  • The method I usually use is basically start by making over medium but break the yolk after flipping. That way you still end up with the aesthetic over an over-whatever egg. Sep 29, 2016 at 18:42
  • Chefs breaks the yoke before flipping? If you order an over easy you would expect a broken yoke?
    – paparazzo
    Sep 29, 2016 at 19:47
  • @Dorothy to clarify, the method that I described was from when I was a chef. I would not break a yolk before I flipped the egg. Sep 29, 2016 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.