Maybe it's because I'm German speaking, but I'm utterly confused by the concept of the concept of a Casserole.

When I enter "Kasserolle" in the German Amazon I on the one side get dishes that look like that they could get put into the oven. But on the other side I get pots which have a long grip. In my family we used to call them "milk pots".

Are these milk pots also supposed to be put into the oven? I've never seen anybody put pots like these into the oven, but doesn't the word "casserole" usually imply recipes that require an oven? I am utterly confused by the concept of "casserole".

Why does it seem to imply two different kinds of dishes ("milk pots" and dishes I'd use to make a lasagne)?

  • Could you add a link to an actual item that looks like a milk pot but says it is a "Kasserolle"? I am not sure what you mean by "But on the other side".
    – user3169
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 6:28
  • gourmet-web.de/bilder/produkte/gross/…. For example this one.
    – hgiesel
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 7:57
  • @user3169 I think op means "on one hand/on the other hand".
    – Catija
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 11:44
  • @Catija Ah yes sorry, Of course I meant "on the other hand"
    – hgiesel
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 11:46
  • 1
    If you check the definitions, there does not seem to be a one-to-one correspondence between Kasserolle and casserole. Kasserolle seems to have a broader usage as to what kind of cookware it refers to.
    – user3169
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 18:17

2 Answers 2


This is from a UK perspective. A casserole dish is generally round or oval, almost always has a lid, and can go in the oven. It may be made of a variety of materials.

The use that earns the name is cooking dishes consisting of ingredients cut up and in a liquid sauce/gravy, without a topping except possibly dumplings. The terms casserole and stew have a lot in common. The dishes may be used for other things as well.

Some can also be used on top of the stove (metal ones, a few special ceramic examples). This is handy for browning ingredients before adding the liquid. There's obvious overlap with a (fairly large) saucepan, but unlike casserole dishes saucepans may have long handles, which might not be suitable for oven use either because of size or material.

A milk pan (not pot) is a small saucepan with a long handle, usually with a lid, and sometimes with a spout. In a set of saucepans it would be the smallest.

  • @paparazzi "a lot in common". I think we've already had a question about the difference; if not maybe we should. It might well be yet another US/UK difference in terminology but the variation within each country may be greater.
    – Chris H
    Commented Nov 14, 2016 at 6:52
  • 1
    Here's the previous discussion about terminology cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/8742/…
    – Chris H
    Commented Nov 14, 2016 at 14:14

In the US casserole is a general term for a slowly baked dish with multiple ingrediants. I would call a lasagne a type of casserole.

The typical dish is a baking dish.

baking dish

Handles are not required but common. Useful for other slowly baked items such as meat.

  • 1
    The dish is often actually called a "casserole", which is, I believe, what this question is asking about. I've seen many recipes that call for a "five-quart casserole". Like on the Target website here
    – Catija
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 18:02
  • 2
    Funnily enough unlike in your answer in the UK a lasagne dish wouldn't be called a casserole dish. Casserole dishes in en-gb are usually round or oval and almost always have a lid. But then in UK usage a casserole would be stirrable unlike a lasagne
    – Chris H
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 19:29
  • @ChrisH In the US an Italian would not call it casserole.
    – paparazzo
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 20:21
  • @Catija And it is often called a baking dish. crateandbarrel.com/potluck-lasagna-red-baking-dish/s379125
    – paparazzo
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 20:22
  • But the question isn't about the food... It's about the confusion between a baking dish and a milk pot, both of which are referred to as a "Kasserolle"... your answer doesn't actually answer the question.
    – Catija
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 20:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.