Unopened kraft shredded cheese left in dark and unrefrigerated for 2 weeks. Is it safe to eat?

  • Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. My guess is "no", but what temperature was it kept at? Dec 18, 2016 at 1:11
  • Even in fridge, the stuff eventually goes moldy. Of course, most cheese molds are not very toxic. Then again Listeria monocytogenes probably likes warm temperatures better than cold ones: cdc.gov/listeria Dec 18, 2016 at 3:04

1 Answer 1


The cheese will not be safe to eat if it has been at room temperature for two weeks. On the package, it should say "KEEP REFRIGERATED". Hy-Vee states the food should be refrigerated here. The note is there for a reason, the cheese will spoil if at room temperature for too long.

Kraft includes the note because they know it is likely if someone doesn't keep the shredded cheese refrigerated, the person could get sick and sue them for not disclosing it needs to be refrigerated.

It's certainly possible you won't get sick if you eat it. But two weeks is a long time and I recommend not eating it.

  • I agree with Caleb cheese should not be left out that long. However if it is in the refrigerator and has mold on it you just cut the mold off. It is perfectly safe to eat.
    – GJ.Baker
    Apr 18, 2017 at 18:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.