2

My daughter put a cell phone in the microwave and switched it on. The phone was heated for less than a minute at maximum temperature. There was a strong smell from the burnt phone and the microwave. Can we use the microwave again? Which steps are necessary to bring the microwave to a condition where food isn't contaminated (both from an aroma and a food safety standpoint)?

enter image description here

  • 2
    Probably can't use the phone, but was there any damage to the microwave? – moscafj Jan 11 '17 at 18:49
  • How old is your daughter? (curious why she would do that) – PoloHoleSet Jan 11 '17 at 19:57
  • 1
    Naturally, she chose a Samsung. Does it still work? – Wayfaring Stranger Jan 11 '17 at 23:54
  • Whatever you do, store the damaged phone somewhere where it a) can not start a fire and b) cannot get wet. – rackandboneman Jan 12 '17 at 9:31
  • 1
    @Nav If you really want a mod to look at something, flag it. But questions about kitchen equipment are totally on topic here, there's no reason to migrate. – Cascabel Jan 12 '17 at 20:57
6

I would ventilate it well, wipe everything down and wash up the turntable. Then, when the smell has cleared (and doesn't come back when the door has been shut for a while) use it but only for covered (loosely) food at least at first.

I'd also test that it heats up a cup of water before cooking anything real in it.

  • 2
    When I set a potato on fire, it was months before the smell cleared. (maybe if I had used it more often it'd have cleared faster ... but it smelled like burned hair) – Joe Jan 11 '17 at 22:51
  • 1
    @Joe that's also possible, and I'd give up if there wasn't dramatic improvement within a couple of days. Testing with a cup of water can be done before it clears, and there's just a chance that the steam will help dissipate the smell. Also leaving it semi-outside (like a garden shed). – Chris H Jan 12 '17 at 6:53
  • 3
    maybe also some baking soda as that's a bit abrasive and can help absorb oders – thrig Jan 12 '17 at 23:25
  • 1
    And heat some water with vinegar in it. – Jan Doggen Jan 13 '17 at 10:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.