I have a technique when cooking omlettes where you only cook them on one side, and gather up the edges - but let the cheese accumulate in the soft centre.

Friends have suggested several names for this:

  • scramelette
  • sunny side up omelette
  • soft-centred omelette

The thought occurs that there must be a canonical name - which I'd like to know so I can order it at a restaurant.

My question is: What is the term for 'sunny side up' omelette?

  • 9
    French omelettes are usually cooked only on one side then folded
    – Chris H
    Feb 19 '17 at 8:44
  • And there's also the Japanese omelette, but that likely won't have cheese. (and would qualify as a 'soft-centred omelette', but maybe not 'sunny side up', as you scramble it while it cooks at first : cooking.stackexchange.com/q/53962/67
    – Joe
    Feb 19 '17 at 12:48
  • 3
    Your creation is what I always think of when someone says 'omelette' without any qualifier.
    – canardgras
    Feb 20 '17 at 8:57
  • Thanks @canardgras - I'm used to 'sunny side down' omelettes being the default - but agree with you. Sunny side up is the best!
    – hawkeye
    Feb 20 '17 at 11:15

I believe that is called a classic french omelette. "Sunnyside" comes from frying unbroken eggs, where the yolk resembles the sun, and by not flipping the egg over makes it "Sunnyside up".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.