I have a technique when cooking omlettes where you only cook them on one side, and gather up the edges - but let the cheese accumulate in the soft centre.

Friends have suggested several names for this:

  • scramelette
  • sunny side up omelette
  • soft-centred omelette

The thought occurs that there must be a canonical name - which I'd like to know so I can order it at a restaurant.

My question is: What is the term for 'sunny side up' omelette?

  • 9
    French omelettes are usually cooked only on one side then folded – Chris H Feb 19 '17 at 8:44
  • And there's also the Japanese omelette, but that likely won't have cheese. (and would qualify as a 'soft-centred omelette', but maybe not 'sunny side up', as you scramble it while it cooks at first : cooking.stackexchange.com/q/53962/67 – Joe Feb 19 '17 at 12:48
  • 3
    Your creation is what I always think of when someone says 'omelette' without any qualifier. – canardgras Feb 20 '17 at 8:57
  • Thanks @canardgras - I'm used to 'sunny side down' omelettes being the default - but agree with you. Sunny side up is the best! – hawkeye Feb 20 '17 at 11:15

I believe that is called a classic french omelette. "Sunnyside" comes from frying unbroken eggs, where the yolk resembles the sun, and by not flipping the egg over makes it "Sunnyside up".


As others already said, What you described is the traditional way to make an omelette, whereas the idea of flipping an omelette to cook it fully is truly an American concept. Let's call a flipped omelette an American omelette while yours we can just call omelette.

i image searched Sunnyside up omelette and i see a bunch of Sunnyside up eggs all grilled simultaneously so they bond together into some kind of Frankensteinish Siamese siblings. This to me is a very unappealing and dumb concept and it troubles me that they have appended the word omelette to this bad science concoction. It would have been better if Sunnyside up omelette refered to what You described above, however in all fairness there's no "sun" effect in an omelette. Oh i got an idea Cloudy side up!

  • 1
    OP is not trying to find a new name, the question is if there is a name for this type of omelette already. – Luciano Oct 1 '18 at 9:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.