- Scald milk at about 180º F for about 20 minutes
- Let milk cool to between 100 and 110º F
- Add starter culture
- Incubate in yogurt maker for 8 hours
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
The yogurt seems pretty thick to me when I take it out of the machine after the incubation, but the instructions that came with the yogurt maker say that the last step, refrigerating, is needed for the yogurt to set properly.
The instructions that came with the Greek yogurt maker say:
- Put yogurt into strainer
- Leave in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, longer for greater thickness.
My question is: if I make a batch of regular yogurt intending to convert it to Greek yogurt, do I need to follow the last step of refrigerating the yogurt for 4 hours before putting it in the strainer to make Greek yogurt? Or can I just put the yogurt into the strainer as soon as the 8 hour incubation period is done?
Update: I checked with the manufacturer and got an email back from them that said:
You can move the content of your yogurt made in the YM100 into GY50 after yogurt is ready, without putting the yogurt in the refrigerator for 4 hours.