I tossed mothballs in my kitchen cabinets about a month ago, now everytime I open cabinets all I smell is mothballs, and the food smells like mothballs too. Can I eat the food or should I throw it away?
Mothball is a mild poison. msds
Contamination via vapor to food may only be mildly toxic but not a good idea.
You can keep food in unopened cans and air tight glass containers. Wipe them down with a mild detergent. Sealed plastic containers is questionable. Remove everything then wipe the cupboards and walls with a light detergent. Let them dry / air out thoroughly before returning food to the cupboards.
Toss contaminated food
As others suggest, toss the food as mothballs are toxic by design, being made of:
The safer way to fight moths in your food or cabinets is with Diatomaceous earth. This white powder is mined from ancient sedimentary rock, the silica remains of diatoms. Think of it as tiny sea shells smashed into a fine powder.
The powder particles are dry and sharp like the tiniest of shards of glass. The particles both slice and desiccate moths and fleas, as well as their eggs & larvae.
The powder is chemically inert. You can easily rinse or wipe it away. Avoid breathing any, not because of toxic reactions but because it is a physical irritant and can damage cells. If you vacuum the powder, be sure to do so well-ventilated, preferably with a HEPA filter.
You can mix the powder with food items like rice that you later rinse before cooking. The bulk bins at your food co-op or natural foods store are commonly treated this way.
You can also sprinkle powder along the edges and crevices of shelves where their eggs/larvae tend to nestle.