I've always thought of lard as referring to just the rendered fat, but the Wikipedia article on lard says that it can refer to either unrendered or rendered pork fat. Is there a name besides "unrendered lard" or "unrendered pig/pork fat" for the unrendered fat you make lard from?

  • 1
    So, we're wondering why we have suet ---> tallow but (unrendered) lard ---> (rendered) lard? I wonder if "pork suet" would be acceptable.
    – Catija
    Commented Mar 16, 2017 at 19:09
  • @Catija I'm sure the "why" is "languages are ugly". Anyway, "pork suet" doesn't seem to be ever used, so people will probably say "but technically" but it's mostly understandable, at least!
    – Cascabel
    Commented Mar 16, 2017 at 19:30
  • I would argue that the word should be "bacon", but English seems to have lost all of its meanings except for the cured fried breakfast strip.
    – rumtscho
    Commented Mar 17, 2017 at 18:14

1 Answer 1


As the Wiki says, unrendered lard is "adipose tissue", also called "fatty tissue". It's often referred to by the specific piece of fatty tissue that it comes from: fatback, belly fat, leaf (from around the kidneys, the equivalent of beef suet).

It can also simply be called "fat". I see, for example, many articles to render fat into lard. That's more ambiguous than "fatty tissue", but it's much more colloquial and it's usually clear from context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.