Yesterday I bought this pastry filled with pistachio cream at Ponte di Castelvecchio in Verona, Italy. While it was very delicious, I forgot its name. Can somebody help?

Italian pistachio pastry

  • Craves a taste of this!
    – Catalyst
    Commented May 1, 2017 at 10:11
  • 2
    Is there a cake under the cream? And was it served very cold, almost frozen?
    – Paulb
    Commented May 1, 2017 at 13:10
  • 2
    No, the cream was "uniform". And no, it was not served cold.
    – jurij
    Commented May 1, 2017 at 17:04

3 Answers 3


I don't think these have a specific name, but it's possible to take a guess what they are made of.

The container is a "cialda", a thin waffle. Here is a recipe with pictures, basically it's done with a waffle iron with shallow ridges.

The cup is also lined with dark chocolate - the rough appearance suggests this was made in the shop and not bought already made.

What is inside is the hardest to guess, but I think it's likely some pistachio-flavoured "crema pasticcera", pastry cream. Likely milk (possibly also cream), sugar, pistachio paste, egg yolks, rice and corn starch.

The topping is made of crushed nuts, I'd say pistachios but the picture is too small to be sure.

  • Plus 1. I mention that based on the shape and size one can refer to them as "tartelletta", tough mainly tartellette are mini cakes and not waffle like.
    – Alchimista
    Commented Oct 25, 2020 at 9:48

I live in Verona, I know Castelvecchio as well.

This isn't a tipical pastry of Verona, seems a pastry invented by a chef using only his creativity.

I suggest you to search to the name of the restaurant in Google Map, read eventually the comments to look for the name of this pastry, or as last chance to contact directly the restaurant :)


Those are pastries for when you're not able to make real pastries.

They're made with industrial pre-made ingredients. They taste good, but you can find better things.

Source: I'm italian.

  • but is there a name for it? (and it makes sense ... the chocolate on the waffle to keep the wet ingredient from soaking it is often done for ice cream items that get held for some time)
    – Joe
    Commented Aug 31, 2017 at 14:46
  • 2
    No name, a generic "pasta" or "pasticcino" (pastry) is often used.
    – napolux
    Commented Aug 31, 2017 at 15:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.