My icing recipe for German chocolate cake pecan icing calls for evaporated milk, but I only have condensed milk. Can I use the condensed milk instead?

If so, do I need to make any adjustments to it?

2 Answers 2


Yes you can.

  • If you have unsweetened condensed milk, that is another name for evaporated milk and they are interchangeable.

  • If you have sweetened condensed milk, you can use one 14 oz can to replace one cup of evaporated milk and one cup of granulated sugar.
  • By 'oz' do you mean weight ounces, or fluid ounces? I ask because the other two measurements you gave are both cups (volume based). Better safe than sorry.
    – mech
    May 13, 2018 at 0:46
  • 2
    @mech I was referring to a particular can size which is stated as 14 oz. on the label.
    – Debbie M.
    May 13, 2018 at 1:03
  • 1
    @mech It would be fluid ounces.
    – Cindy
    May 14, 2019 at 9:41

Yes, you can. Condensed milk and evaporated milk have the same consistency (almost) simply because both of them are made by the same process of evaporating 60% of the water content but the similarity ends there. Because sweet condensed milk contains added sugar you can substitute condensed milk with evaporated milk by adding some sugar in it.

  • Hi Madison and welcome! The last sentence of your answer is confusing and, in fact, opposite of what your linked reference states. Please edit to correct the provided information.
    – Cindy
    May 14, 2019 at 9:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .