I've got a Meringue recipe that calls for castor sugar.

Is that different than powdered sugar?

  • 1
    It's "castor sugar", known as superfine or bar sugar in the US.
    – hobodave
    Oct 16, 2010 at 17:51
  • 1
    @hobodave: Thanks! (btw: It is spelled "caster" in my recipe.)
    – yhw42
    Oct 16, 2010 at 18:05
  • Ah! Apparently it goes both ways. I was just going by prior site precedent.
    – hobodave
    Oct 16, 2010 at 18:07
  • I decided against closing as duplicate. It seems an annoying hoop to jump through for any future people coming across the question. I'll just answer it and reference the wiki.
    – hobodave
    Oct 16, 2010 at 18:08

2 Answers 2


Castor (caster) sugar is known as superfine, or bar sugar in the US. It's not the same as powdered sugar which is even finer, has been mechanically pulverized, and is often mixed with starch to prevent clumping.

According to Ochef you can make it with regular granulated sugar in your food processor for two minutes, but let the sugar dust settle before opening.

See Also:
Translating cooking terms between US / UK / AU / CA


Hobodave has answered this well - as an English person I can answer very simply. Caster sugar (UK spelling!) is, as Hobodave says, known as superfine sugar in the US. Powdered sugar is known as icing sugar in the UK.

  • does 'icing sugar' include cornstarch (US; UK : cornflour) in it ?
    – Joe
    Oct 17, 2010 at 1:42
  • @Joe: We use all three terms interchangeably here (we prefer confectioner's sugar) and the answer is yes. See powdered sugar on Wikipedia or this ochef question.
    – Aaronut
    Oct 18, 2010 at 20:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.