just wondering if there are any chef websites out there which specialise in recipes for large quantities, 25+ portions, any recipes at all Entrees, Mains, Pastries or Desserts. Many thanks in advance for your time.
I have a few cookbooks for caterers that have this sort of thing. I've even gotten one from our library system (although not my local branch, I was at one of the larger ones)
So, using that term, I tried searching for 'catering recipe websites' had a bunch of false positives, but it did find :
- http://lotsofinfo.tripod.com/ ("Over 500 Make ahead or Large Recipes and MANY Self Catering Tips Below --- enjoy").
A search for 'catering recipes' was a bit more helpful:
- https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/feed-crowd (although 'crowd' is 8-10, it looks like)
- http://www.bigoven.com/recipes/catering/best (has options to set the number of people to serve ... but that's not going to tell you how to adjust cooking times for larger pan sizes, etc)
- http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipe/catering-for-large-numbers-keyword--italian-cuisine.html ('large numbers' seems to be 4, but there are some that are 12 ... which might fall into 'entertaining', I guess)
I'm actually pretty disappointed in most of these -- I'd have expected recipes for 'catering' to talk about what parts you can do in advance vs. morning of vs. last minute.
There are also websites w/ tips for caterers, eg. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/article/26/catering-menu-ideas.html
I also found a website for 'Essentially Catering Magazine', but many of the recipes they have serve less than 8 people : https://www.essentiallycatering.co.uk/recipes.php
I suspect that cookbooks might be a safer bet -- many of these have the 'look inside' option on Amazon, so you can see if they're what you're looking for:
- https://smile.amazon.com/Secrets-Caterers-Kitchen-Indispensable-Planning/dp/1557883521/ (I've since gotten this book ... most recipes serve 8)
Which also led me to Army cookbooks:
Update: A friend mentioned a website with recipes for school cafeterias. There are some pre made sauces referenced, but it starts at 25 people and includes instructions for advance prep and just before service: http://www.thelunchbox.org/recipes-menus/
Update 2: I've since learned that the preferred term seems to be 'quantity cooking', which helped me find: