1

I like the acidic taste of old/stale coffee.

I left my coffee at my desk over the weekend, and on Monday morning I took a sip. It tasted good. I did not heat it up, I drank it at room temperature.

But I read it is not advisable to drink coffee left out at room temperature because it is a medium for mold.

If I left it in the refrigerator for 2 days will it be safe to drink?

  • 1
    Try drinking it chilled, it's much nicer that way. – Chris H Jul 26 '17 at 14:46
4

If left at room temperature it would certainly become a pool of mold, but if you refrigerate it, especially for just a few days, it should be fine. You would do well to put in a sealed container and probably adding ice to chill it faster would be 'better' but just set in the fridge for 2-3 days (depending on what else is in the fridge) should be ok.

Beyond that, taste is a personal thing and if you like it that way...go for it.

  • 1
    Cos Callis, FYI, unless maybe you live/work in a very moldy place(?), it would take an awfully long time for coffee to become a "pool of mold". My experience is many days or possibly weeks for even the tiniest dot of mold on the surface of the coffee, especially black coffee. – Lorel C. Jul 25 '17 at 13:48
  • 3
    A long weekend in a warm office can be enough for strong sweetened black coffee to grow visible mould. – Chris H Jul 26 '17 at 14:46
0

I am drinking a long black with 3 sugars brewed on Monday evening, added 1 teaspoon of sugar extra and reheated in a microwave. It is Saturday morning. It tastes beautiful and I'm not dead yet.

  • ...It was kept in the fridge – Bruce Cole Jun 7 at 23:17
  • 1
    Anecdote is not evidence -- just because you did not get dick does not mean it is "safe"! – Erica Jun 8 at 8:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.