How do you convert British recipes to American measurements?

  • 1
    "British?" Do you mean gramms etc. ounces? Honestly, you do it like we Europeans use American recipes with cups and oz. : look up the conversion (table, formula, online tool) and do the math. – Stephie Aug 5 '17 at 6:28

I'm going to assume you're dealing with British Imperial measurements (as opposed to metric).

The main 'gotchas' are cups/pints/quarts, and tablespoons:

US cup   = 8 fl.oz.  British cup   = 10 fl.oz
US pint  = 16 fl.oz  British pint  = 20 fl.oz
US quart = 32 fl.oz  British quart = 40 fl.oz

US tablespoon = 14.2 mL ; British tablespoon = 17.7 mL

Also see Translating cooking terms between US / UK / AU / CA / NZ .

  • and there's also the "metric cup" (8.45 fl.oz; 250mL). And the infamous 'dessert spoon' (9.5mL) – Joe Aug 3 '17 at 21:58
  • 1
    not to mention that a 15ml tablespoon isn't a tables-poon but a dessert-spoon. Though for recipes this is now always taken to be ~15ml, older cookbooks will mean ~25ml when they use the term "table-spoon" – Niall Aug 5 '17 at 15:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.