I'm hoping to make some Boston brown bread in the near future, and the recipe I plan to use (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/gluten-free-boston-brown-bread-recipe.html) calls for 'unlined 28-ounce cans', but doesn't specify what it means by 'unlined'. Other recipes I've looked at either say 'any metal can' or just say to use a loaf pan, and I've found lists of which brands of canned food don't use BPA in the lining of their cans, but nothing listing completely unlined cans.

Is there a website somewhere that lists either where I can find food-safe unlined cans, or which types of lining are safe to bake in? (Or am I just overthinking this, since presumably the cans are exposed to equal or higher temperatures during the canning process?)

Thanks all!


1 Answer 1


I normally use tin bread molds for baking. They are 'unlined', and so far, they seem to be safe enough. I suppose lining also refers to teflon coating, which is also safe for baking.

Try your luck with tin, the link below has a image for a bread mold similar to those I use.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.