I recently made this recipe, but I am wondering if there are any names for this type of slicing (for potatoes, and otherwise). I suppose it somewhat resembles "blooming" an onion.

2 Answers 2


Potatoes that have been sliced almost all the way, buttered, spiced and then roasted until they fan out often go by the name Hasselback Potatoes.

Reputedly they were invented by a Swedish chef in the 1950s and the name is based on the name of the Swedish restaurant, Hasselbacken, in Stockholm.

I don't think there is a specific culinary term for "slicing almost all the way".


This method is commonly known as "hasselback".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.