I'm looking for a recipe for an Italian cookie that I remember having as a child. The cookie is shaped like a gnocchi or cavatelli but is much bigger, about 1.5 inches long and slightly larger than a quarter in diameter. It is distinctly 'C' shaped, though. The cookie was fried, probably deep fried, and then soaked in honey. The color is a very deep, dark brown.

The cookie is very dense but flaky. There was not a very strong flavor other than the honey that I recall (i.e. not anise-flavored or something strong like that). The texture is what I'm really after, I think.

It is not a Zeppole (it doesn't puff up) or a Bow Tie (not as brittle in texture, certainly not as thin) or the little pea-shaped cookies (Struffoli?).

Based on our family tree these are probably going to be a Southern Italian cookie, from Calabria. But that's just a guess/hint.

  • 1
    It sounds delicious!
    – Bluebelle
    Nov 2, 2010 at 9:17
  • Hey ... the cookies are fried ! Why the "baking" tag??? :D Nov 15, 2010 at 19:48

6 Answers 6


Gnocchi shaped? I am pretty sure they are Turdilli! .

It's a traditional Calabrian recipe: alt text

alt text

They are deep-fried:

alt text

alt text

And hot-soaked in honey too:

alt text

Same biscotti, slightly different shapes:

alt text

alt text

Bear in mind that fried cookies soaked in honey are a traditional treat for carnival and Christmas seasons all over Italy, so you may find many, many similar recipes. From http://www.marinacepedafuentes.com/2010_02_01_archive.html :

Evviva i Dolci di Carnevale rigorosamente fritti, che ricevono nomi diversi secondo i luoghi. In Toscana chiacchiere o trecce, e poi frappe laziali, castagnole romane, frittelle di riso molisane, fritole triestine, nigelan altoatesini, sfincitelle siciliane, tortelli romagnoli, bomboloni fiorentini, cicerchiata umbra e chi più ne ha più ne metta!

At left with figs syrup, at right with honey:

alt text

A full blown italian fritti feast:

alt text

Turdilli recipes in Italian

Turdilli recipes in English

Video: Making Turdilli

A shop near my house sells turdilli (hold your envy)

  • 1
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner -- thanks!!!! Nov 18, 2010 at 2:16
  • LOL: Your shop is blocked as 'pornography' from here!!!
    – Benjol
    Dec 22, 2010 at 8:14
  • @Benjol It works for me. Perhaps you have some kind of anti-fat filtering :) Dec 22, 2010 at 15:35
  • These are definitely Tordilli..deep fried and dipped in honey. I have made these for years.
    – JudyM
    Nov 13, 2021 at 3:21

I believe you might be looking for Cartellate, or Honey Pinwheels? Check this site out and see if they look familiar. http://www.mangiabenepasta.com/cartellate.html There are a lot of different recipes for them, but some of what I came across look like what you were describing.

  • No, definitely not -- the shape is all wrong. The cookie I'm remembering is a cylinder about 1.5 inches long. Nov 10, 2010 at 14:35

It sounds like the cookie my family makes. we call it a dudela it is a dough that gets rolled on a grater then deep fried and soaks in honey with an orange peel.

  • You must be southern Italian, like my family. I believe my grandfather called them "durdeel", which would be the southern pronunciation of turdilli. Dec 23, 2013 at 14:59

I make a cookie like that. Our family calls it Conalicle. I it rolled and deep fried, then can be covered in Honey or heated caro. If your still looking for the recipe, I have it. I also have a picture, but it is too large to post here.

  • 2
    Stack Exchange does not support private mail between users. Better to post the recipe here if the ones in the accepted answer do not cover it. And you can reduce photos in size before trying to post here or you can post elsewhere and put a link here.
    – Willeke
    Dec 25, 2020 at 10:22

Maybe you are thinking about Krumiri? They are very popular in Italy.

alt text

  • They don't seem to be fried or covered in honey, so I'd say no. Both of these things were a fundamental part of the cookie, so I don't seem them as a simple variation. Nov 14, 2010 at 13:39
  • Ops, misread you question :-)
    – Sklivvz
    Nov 14, 2010 at 14:11

my family calls them sculeete, but not sure that is the right spelling. Ours were braided and had whiskey, ginger, etc

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.