In Moderist cuisine, they repeatedly refer to "pastry bars" for a number of techniques. However, when I try to search / find these things on the internet, my search engine results are hundreds of thousands of snack bars and other Kellog's "boxed products".

I've tried "baking bars", "baking weights" and a number of other variations.

Is there another name for these things that will help me find them?

Here's an image showing "baking bars" on a silicone mat to create a gel:

Here are "baking bars" on top of a silicon mat

  • That looks a lot like the table/tools they use to make hard candy – Journeyman Geek Feb 20 '18 at 4:13
  • 2
    I bet they cost considerably more if you buy them from a confectionery tools provider, rather than your local metal works. – Strawberry Feb 20 '18 at 12:33
  • 3
    @Strawberry and presumably have fewer stray metal burrs / shavings in them too... ;) – Michael Feb 20 '18 at 23:22

"Pastry bars metal" seems to work. The results I got were for "caramel ruler bars" or "ganache ruler bars". Other terms are "confectionery rulers" which gave me a forum that recommended getting them cut for you at a metal shop from stainless steel at whatever lengths you want for less than buying purpose made ones.

That said, I'm not sure that's actually what you're looking for. These seem to be bars for rolling out dough or fondant to a specific thickness, not designed to be used for shaping things the way your photo implies.

The term that I found that more closely resembles what you're looking for is "confectionery frames".

| improve this answer | |
  • You are spot on (and beat me by a minute). The keyword is “rulers” - caramel, ganache, confectionery, depending on the seller - and the thicker ones are indeed also used for pouring. Steel is better than aluminum, due to the weight. – Stephie Feb 19 '18 at 21:24

These look like simple aluminum profiles (in this case, hollow squares). Find someone selling aluminum bars/pipes etc by the foot/meter (maybe a DIY shop). Saw them to the desired size yourself and sandpaper the saw cuts (or ask a handy acquaintance).

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Many bakers / cooks do. (Stainless) steel is a sturdy and heavier alternative and sometimes preferred because less likely to slip. – Stephie Feb 19 '18 at 21:33
  • 11
    There's limited opportunities to combine angle grinders and cooking, and this is one of them! :) – GdD Feb 19 '18 at 21:33
  • 3
    Just make sure that the metal is not coated with something unhealthy. – GdD Feb 19 '18 at 21:33
  • 2
    I would probably go for stainless in this application myself anyway, @ChrisH, this is just one more reason for it. – GdD Feb 19 '18 at 22:06
  • 1
    Agreed with @GdD - shop stock bars will often have some type of machine oil, etc, coated on them. This is definitely not food grade stuff. Hollow bars will be harder to clean than solid, but any shop stock should probably have a good cleaning with something like Spray-9 followed by hot soapy water and then high-concentration rubbing alcohol and a rinse before touching food. – J... Feb 20 '18 at 12:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.