I am trying to make Italian Meringue and I using a candy thermometer and following a recipe very closely. However, whenever I pour my sugar into my egg whites the sugar instantly sticks to the side of mixing bowl and then I have little pieces of rock candy floating around my egg whites. What am I doing wrong? Everything I see makes it look so simple and I can't find anyone else encountering this issue. Thanks!
- 115g aged egg whites
- 3g cream of tartar
- 150g granulated sugar
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks for (~2 min) and reduce speed to low
- Add granulated sugar and 57g water to saucepan and heat over medium high. If sugar sticks to side use a wet pastry brush to remove sugar crystals
- Cook sugar until it reaches 235 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When sugar is 235 degrees quickly and steadily pour it down the side of the mixer bowl while the mixer is on medium speed
- Whip for about 4 minutes until glossy