I found some dark mold on a bottle of quartered artichokes in the packing solution, and accidentally ate one before realizing there was a problem with them. Should I be worried?

  • Are you sure it was mold? Can you post a picture? – Jolenealaska May 24 '18 at 1:59
  • 2
    Indeed check if it is mold, seeing it in the solution is strange, usually mold appears on the surface (where water availability is higher). If the mold is on the bottle (i.e. at the outside), the contents haven't been in contact with the mold and should be ok. Usually mold induces off flavours as well. – remco May 24 '18 at 6:10

You shouldn't be very worried at the moment because mold usually isn't too harmful, and common symptoms are a stomach ache. If you feel worrying symptoms going to the doctor or the hospital (If necessary) may be a good idea. Still, keep in mind that it is rare to become very sick from eating mold and that you will probably be okay.

| improve this answer | |
  • 5
    Danger depends on the mold and the growing conditions/substrate. Blue cheese has live molds, and is harmless, the same molds on bread are toxic. And some molds can be very toxic (aflatoxin in peanuts, ergot gungus on cereals). – remco May 24 '18 at 6:10
  • That's what I was talking about, He didn't give any information and some mold can be dangerous. – Helpful Person May 24 '18 at 22:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.