I have been fascinated with taking byproducts of a fresh coconut, and this time I got this sweet and very sour paste from boiling down coconut "whey"
First, let me explain what is this coconut whey :
- Took the meat out a fresh coconut, did not remove the outer darker skin (Mistake!)
- Put the meat with some water on the blender, strained it in a nut milk bag, repeated the process until milk was achieved
- Set the milk in the refrigerator for 24h for it to separate
- Used the top cream to make butter and buttermilk
- The bottom leftover part after the cream was removed is what I call the coconut "whey"
Now, I thought this whey would be mostly water and sugar, so take the water of you have... sugar!
After boiling it down, I stopped when it began to stick in the pan, the end result was a very sticky gooey paste, that at first taste is sweet but then comes a very unpleasant sour, maybe acidic aftertaste, might be due to not having removed the darker outer skin, or maybe due to the lauric acid?
So, any idea what is this? What can I do with it? Did I do something wrong that it became so sour?
I know this isn't the same as coconut sugar you see in stores as that one is taken from the tree not the coconut itself.