2

My friend from Hong Kong read this article that reported two deaths from Auricularia polytricha poisoning. I can't read Chinese, and thus I'm assuming his interpretation is correct. She then warned me not to touch, let alone eat, Auricularia polytricha.

Is her fear warranted? Is she being level-headed and reasonable?

Every week, I make my own Black Fungus with Ginger Strips & Vinegar Dressing based on Din Tai Fung's rendition:

enter image description here

1
  • I have eaten copious amounts of wood ear/rock ear fungi and I'm still alive, so I guess you have a living answer here...
    – xuq01
    Jan 12, 2020 at 19:25

1 Answer 1

5
  1. Cloud Ear Fungus is not poisonous, and is eaten by millions of people every day (mostly in China). It is part of a whole family of "jelly fungus" which are almost all edible, and none of which are fatally toxic.
  2. The article you linked cites two children who died of a bacterial infection due to black fungus which was soaked at room temperature for more than 2 days. The article warns not to soak foods for too long.
  3. You eat that black fungus dish every week? Is this a medicinal regimen or something?
1
  • 1
    "You eat that black fungus dish every week? Is this a medicinal regimen or something?" Oh no. I just like it :D.
    – user91594
    Aug 24, 2018 at 2:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy