2

My friend from Hong Kong read this article that reported two deaths from Auricularia polytricha poisoning. I can't read Chinese, and thus I'm assuming his interpretation is correct. She then warned me not to touch, let alone eat, Auricularia polytricha.

Is her fear warranted? Is she being level-headed and reasonable?

Every week, I make my own Black Fungus with Ginger Strips & Vinegar Dressing based on Din Tai Fung's rendition:

enter image description here

1
  • I have eaten copious amounts of wood ear/rock ear fungi and I'm still alive, so I guess you have a living answer here...
    – xuq01
    Jan 12 '20 at 19:25
6
  1. Cloud Ear Fungus is not poisonous, and is eaten by millions of people every day (mostly in China). It is part of a whole family of "jelly fungus" which are almost all edible, and none of which are fatally toxic.
  2. The article you linked cites two children who died of a bacterial infection due to black fungus which was soaked at room temperature for more than 2 days. The article warns not to soak foods for too long.
  3. You eat that black fungus dish every week? Is this a medicinal regimen or something?
1
  • 1
    "You eat that black fungus dish every week? Is this a medicinal regimen or something?" Oh no. I just like it :D.
    – Vast
    Aug 24 '18 at 2:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.