This last season, I tried freezing mango puree. My google research told I me I can just freeze them as is. But when I thawed them, puree had lost its taste. What did I do wrong?
I usually freeze mango slices in a ziplock (note that it's best to place it in a single layer in the freezer)
then I let them thaw for a few minutes (3-4 minutes) before I blend them and that's my go-to mango smoothie/puree recipe.
The issue with your method might be that you let it thaw completely for a long time which is not really needed. Another issue could be the freezer bag you used which probably is not airtight, that also could affect the taste.
This is how I freeze fruits:
- Wash, thoroughly dry and peel your fruit.
- Remove any bruised or undesirable spots.
- Cut or slice in small sized pieces. For mangoes, I prefer bite sized pieces as they are easy to blend.
- Place in a zip-lock or food bag and flatten it out.
- Wrap aluminium foil on it to prevent freezer burn. Freezer burn is the most common cause of flavour and texture loss.
- Place it in a freezer bag that is specially designed for freezing. It will prevent any moisture or air from getting in.
It works for me and I never had any problem with loss of flavour. The key thing is to prevent freezer burn.