I buy 1-lb bags of frozen seafood mix from Trader Joe’s. It includes shrimp, calamari, and scallops. I usually want to fry it in a pan, so I first need to thaw it and remove as much water as I can — otherwise it becomes boiling (or soup) instead of frying.
My process right now is:
- Separate the 1-lb bag into two bowls
- Put both bowls in the microwave oven in “defrost” mode, which takes about 9 minutes.
- Drain the water from both bowls. Mix the seafood in the bowl to make thawing more uniform.
- Put both bowls in the microwave oven for another round of defrost mode.
- Drain the water from both bowls. Mix the seafood.
- Put both bowls in the microwave one more time for another round of defrost.
- Drain again.
That seems like a lot of work, taking about half an hour before I even begin cooking it! I find it hard to believe that everyone who buys this mix goes through this — but I really do get a lot of water after each round of defrosting, so I don’t think I can skip it.
Am I thawing this seafood in the best way?