Is parchment paper different from baking paper? If so, how?

  • Be aware that not all papers are equals regarding how they withstand heat. Usually, the supported range of temperature is written on the box.
    – A.D.
    Nov 6, 2018 at 8:19

2 Answers 2


Parchment paper and baking paper are the same thing. The terms are used interchangeably. It may sometimes also be called bakery paper.

Regardless of the name used, it can be either brown or white. Uses are the same - usually to line pans when baking or to cook foods en papillote.

From MetsaTissue , which is headquartered in Finland and sells primarily to European countries:

Grease proof papers are highly hygienic and heat resistant papers which enable a wide variety of uses.

Baking paper – also known as bakery paper or parchment paper, as it is often called especially in the US – is grease proof paper that is used in baking and cooking as it provides a heat-resistant, non-stick surface to bake on.

  • do you have any sources to confirm this? My understanding was that some papers used silicone and others not, though I've never been sure which would be which. Also, do the terms denote the same things in all english-speaking markets? ie is US parchment the same as Uk parchment?
    – Spagirl
    Nov 5, 2018 at 18:01
  • @Spagirl Please see the edit. Parchment paper for cooking, by definition, is treated. If it wasn't it wouldn't be grease proof, heat resistant, or non-stick. And yes, it is the same in the UK as it is in the US. Reynolds, one of the largest brands here, sells some of the same products in the UK.
    – Cindy
    Nov 5, 2018 at 19:26
  • 1
    Spagirl: it's absolutely true that some papers use silicone and others don't, but that doesn't correlate to how they are named at all. The Reynolds silcone paper I have is "parchment paper", and the "all-natural" brand I have is also labelled "baking parchment".
    – FuzzyChef
    Nov 5, 2018 at 19:49

"Parchment" was historically used to refer to a prepared animal skin, so in some areas, either "baking paper" or "greaseproof paper" is the preferred term. I've also seen that some people specifically qualify it as "Baking Parchment"

For other differences between English dialects, see Translating cooking terms between US / UK / AU / CA / NZ

This particular one is towards the end under "Tools / Equipment / Non-food items "... currently:

parchment paper (US, CA) is greaseproof paper (Ireland/ UK, NZ) and baking paper (AU)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.