What is the white part (circled in black) of these lamb chops called? I know they contain fat, but is there a name for the tissue itself? Do they occur throughout the meat or is it only in certain parts? I believe back lamb racks don't contain them, but the front ones do. Is this correct?

enter image description here

  • 1
    Maybe lamb fat (suet)?
    – roetnig
    Jan 12, 2019 at 21:23
  • 2
    I don't think this is what is making you dizzy. Perhaps something else you are having with the dinner? Or maybe a blood sugar issue? There is just no realistic reason why the sinew/fat of a piece of meat would suddenly make you lightheaded. (please consult your primary physician)
    – elbrant
    Jan 15, 2019 at 4:25
  • @roetnig i thought suet was particularly the fat from around the kidney? Jan 21, 2019 at 22:35
  • 1
    @RobinBetts suet is located also in the loins and other parts
    – roetnig
    Jan 21, 2019 at 23:04

1 Answer 1


It's hard to tell from your photo, but probably fat or connective tissue.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.