I trying to find out what I could use to substitute "Baking spread"? It is in a British recipe and in the US, where I live, I've never seen this.


"Baking Spread" is what used to be Margarine, before most of the ingredients of margarine were banned [predominantly the hydrogenated vegetable oils & trans fats].

In the UK, the most famous baking margarine was Stork, which still exists in a new form. It is owned by Unilever, who publish this data on its formulation - Unilever: Stork


Vegetable oils in varying proportions (70%)(rapeseed, palm, sunflower), water, salt (1.5%), buttermilk, preservative ( potassium sorbate), emulsifier (mono- diglycerides of fatty acids), citric acid, flavourings, vitamin A and D, colour (carotenes).

|improve this answer|||||
  • Sounds like you could also use butter... – Steve Chambers Feb 8 '19 at 18:46
  • Butter and margarine sometimes behave differently in recipes, so substitute with caution. (See this Q&A e.g.) – Erica Feb 8 '19 at 19:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.