I have a recipe that calls for Wanjashan naturally brewed organic rice vinegar and I do not have this ingredient. Is there another vinegar I can used instead? I have white vinegar, red wine vinegar, and malt vinegar. The recipe is for sweet and sour pork ribs with honey.

1 Answer 1


First choice: go out and buy any other rice vinegar - it doesn't have to be that exact brand. Almost any grocery store will have the Marukan brand, for example. Rice vinegar has a somewhat unique, mild taste that there is no exact substitute for. In a pinch, I'd maybe use 80% white vinegar 20% sherry.

  • I agree that the best option is some other rice vinegar. I think, though, that if I were substituting I might try malt vinegar and a little sugar, actually. I find rice vinegar to be quite mild in acidity and with some sweetness. But yeah--just get another brand.
    – bikeboy389
    Dec 7, 2010 at 16:48
  • I have often seen recipes that say to use sherry neat if you have no rice vinegar, that certainly seems to be the convention in some of the Chinese cookbooks I have.
    – Orbling
    Dec 7, 2010 at 20:55
  • @Orbling - that is the usual substitution for rice wine, not rice vinegar - but it is what made me think to use some of it when making a sub for rice vinegar. Dec 7, 2010 at 23:47
  • @Michael Quite right, good idea. On a tangent, how comes your website is called Herbivoracious, but has non-herbivorous (lacto-ovo) recipes? ;-) [I'm vegan, hence the pedant.]
    – Orbling
    Dec 8, 2010 at 0:19
  • @Orbling - for the simple reason that when I chose the name, 3.5 years ago, it didn't occur to me that herbivore would really only include vegans, not lacto-ovo. It is fairly common parlance to refer to any vegetarian as an herbivore. I get this comment occasionally, but it is my "brand" now, too late to change it. Dec 8, 2010 at 17:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.