Me (russian) talked to my partner (american) about ice cream flavors. In Russia and post-USSR plain flavor (creamy-milky one) is extremely popular and often called пломбир. It is the default flavor, in contrast to American default, vanilla.

In the US though, this flavor of ice cream is not a real thing. Is there a term that I can use to find and buy that type of ice cream?

It seems like a common question, and some people call it "cream flavored ice cream", and russian->english translation can be "rich creamy ice-cream".


2 Answers 2


It's called "sweet cream" ice cream. If you make your own ice cream with something like milk, cream, eggs, and sugar, and you don't put any additional flavoring in it, it's called a "sweet cream base".

  • oh, that is something googleable! mcconnells.com/products/sweet-cream-1 Jun 8, 2019 at 22:05
  • Crema is a standard in Italy as well. Cream and chocolate is the classic combination. Indeed in some countries even nearby is not, or less, common, too.
    – Alchimista
    Jun 11, 2019 at 11:44
  • I've seen this sort of thing once in a restaurant, I think, under "whipped cream flavored ice cream" as part of a more elaborate dish (aka cream flavored cream, so I think it would count) so there may be other, odder terms the same thing pops up under.
    – Megha
    Jun 12, 2019 at 0:17

"Milk flavored ice cream"...or "milk ice cream" would work as search terms. I'm not sure you can purchase it in the US, but there are a few recipes on-line.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.